The Advocacy Club 2019 Symposium Series
August 6 and 7, August 12 and 13, 2019
Organized by Advocacy Club members Robin Brown and Ludmilla Jarda, these two symposia trained lawyers in the techniques of a specialized area of litigation. Each 2-day symposia took place at KPMG Forensic Services, 150 Elgin, Ottawa to train participants in specific areas of law:
- Family Law: August 6 and 7.
- Statutory Accident Benefits (SABS) Claims/Defence: August 12 and 13.
Each 2-day symposium focussed on techniques, not substantive law. Each featured:
- Headline presentations by leaders in the field.
- Presentations by KPMG Forensic Accountants.
- A professionalism session.
- Breakout sessions led by experienced counsel. Hands-on learning with feedback from experts, Advocacy Club style!
- 100% of all CPD credits required by the LSO (including EDI).
- The sessions raised funds for the CCLA's Renovation Project.
Organizers for the Symposium Series were Advocacy Club members Robin Brown (Cavanagh) and Ludmilla Jarda (Nelligan O’Brien Payne). Each specific session was organized by two Club members who practice in the area covered by the session.
Initial Reaction to Family Law Symposium
"The program didn't just introduce me to family law concepts, procedures and best practices, it also introduced me to many like-minded peers who are doing important work in family law. I am looking forward to not only implement the techniques that I learned but to also build these relationships with my colleagues in Ottawa's family law bar."